Effective workshops and training programs that teach parents,
professionals and other adults how to empower children
and teens to thrive in the 21st century..
|The Developing Capable People (DCP) program
resulted from over 30 years of research conducted with
children, families and schools in the U.S. and Canada.
The data clearly showed that young people who were most
at risk for dropping out of school, drug and alcohol abuse,
teen suicide, teenage pregnancy, joining gangs, crime,
violence, etc. were deficient in one or more of seven
life skills areas. The DCP program is based upon these
Seven Life Principles and provides a powerful, non-culturally
biased model of human empowerment for youth and adults.
The Developing Capable People program (Canadian Edition)
has become very successful throughout Canada during the
past ten years, with several thousand people having completed
the nine session program.
Two Day Intensive Leader’s Training Program
| This training program certifies you to
facilitate the Developing Capable People (DCP) program
to other adults who are raising, teaching or providing
support to children and parents. Over 3000 Certified Program
Leaders have now been trained and are now offering the
DCP program in a wide cross-section of Canadian organizations
including schools, social service agencies, YM/YWCA, Boys
and Girls Clubs, Big Brothers & Sisters, Scout and
Girl Guides, First Nations, churches, day care and family
resource centres, colleges and universities.
There are no restrictions on who may attend the two
day intensive Leader’s Training Programs. One
does not require a professional degree to become a Certified
Program Leader. It is our belief that any caring adult
who is willing to complete the two day intensive training
and work toward learning the Seven Life Principles model
can become an effective Developing Capable People program
leader. Upon completion of the two day Leader’s
Training Program, you may facilitate the program to
other adults in your community.
|You will learn:
- About the unique challenges facing children and
youth in the 21st century.
- About the research supporting the Developing Capable
- How the Seven Life Principles can empower children
- How perceptions determine children’s levels
- About the 3 critical perceptions of capability,
significance and influence.
- The 4 life-skills of self-discipline, communication,
responsibility and values.
- The effective use of leadership and facilitation
styles with various groups.
- How to create group safety rules and effectively
- How to utilize all of the DCP training materials
in each session.
- How to facilitate small and large group activities.
- About positive discipline and the use of natural
and logical consequences.
- How to promote the DCP program in your community.
- About the DCP Leader’s support network.
Leader's Training Program Brochure ( 1894 KB )